For most of the last three weeks, I’ve been in Rockhampton, filling in at our partner pharmacy up there. I can’t remember the last time I was away from home for so long – maybe when I went to Melbourne several years ago (?) but even then, I was with family, so it wasn’t really like I was away from “home” exactly (only in the literal sense).
I flew back from Rocky on Friday afternoon. That morning, I woke up more than half an hour before my alarm, and I felt wide awake. I was so excited, I just wanted to message people about how excited I was about going home.
I did feel a bit sad about leaving Rocky – still kind of feel a bit sad – but jeez it’s good to be home again.
Since I arrived back, I have:
- attended the staff Christmas party (Friday night)
- unpacked and put stuff away
- done various household chores (laundry, sweeping, etc)
- caught up with a friend for lunch on Saturday
- caught up with another friend for dinner on Saturday
- bought a gift for “secret Santa” (it’s not that last-minute… Besides, I didn’t really get a chance to go shopping in Rocky)
- visited my uncles/aunts (it was only a brief visit, and only had to go to one house, but still…)
- made fig and sweet potato truffles (this was a challenge set by a friend/colleague)
- made pecan pie (recipe courtesy of Campari & Sofa)
- ironed all my uniforms
- caught up on some blog reading
And whatever I’ve been doing, I’ve been thinking to myself (and sometimes saying to others) “it’s so good to be home again”.
It’s not that Rocky was a terrible place (it’s actually quite lovely for the most part) but I just missed being in my own home. I missed my usual routine, and knowing where everything is. And, of course, I missed friends and family.
I probably should have gone to bed an hour ago (I start work early tomorrow), but I’m pretty sure I’m going to be on an endorphin high all week because I’m back at my usual pharmacy again. (I’m pretty sure I’ve never been away from the pharmacy for more than two weeks in all the years since I started working there.)
It feels so good to be home again!